Best holiday destination in the UK
Table of contents
The United Kingdom is home to vibrant cities, charming towns and villages, diverse landscapes, world-class dining, fun-filled nightlife and a storied history. These are all great reasons to choose the best holiday destinations in the UK on Voyage Privé. Our travel team wants to help you find your perfect getaway location. Below, you will find our suggested destinations across the UK in various popular travel categories. You will also find our recommendations for fabulous accommodation options in the location we have chosen as our top suggestion.
We have several tips to offer to assist you in picking the best holiday destinations in the UK. As a Voyage Privé member, you are already in the right place to find the best deals on luxury hotels nationwide. Our catalogue is filled with offers for stays in the most popular locations. We make it easy to find accommodation, offering all the amenities and services travellers seek.
Since our travel team makes it easy for you to find fabulous hotel stays across the best holiday destinations in the UK, it is simply a matter of deciding where you want to go. With the UK, your options range from stays in urban areas to rural settings along the coast and within the boundaries of iconic national parks. We can also help you find the right deal for travel to specific parts of the United Kingdom, such as Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales.
When choosing a destination, consider the holiday you want. Are you going as a romantic couple? Perhaps you are bringing along the whole family. It would help if you also considered the activities you will participate in. Do you plan to visit museums, or is an escape to the great outdoors a priority instead? The great thing about holidays in the UK is that there are destinations that meet these various needs.
1. It is no surprise that the UK's capital London has grabbed a spot on our list of the country's best city holiday destinations. The area has everything you could want as a traveller. Amazing history, culture, nightlife and dining await your arrival in this world-class city famed for attractions like the British Museum, Tower Bridge, Hyde Park, Big Ben, Buckingham Palace and St Paul's Cathedral. The good news is that we have a huge selection of highly-rated luxury hotels across the region available to book today.
2. York is another city that we are excited to recommend to Voyage Privé members looking for the best holiday destinations in the UK. Famed for its medieval feel, the city is a delight for history lovers. Its storied walls and charming lanes offer plenty to discover in this highly walkable location in Northeast England. During your visit, check out the National Railway Museum and York Minster. When you book with Voyage Privé, you will find 4- and 5-star accommodations for a luxurious getaway with family, friends or your partner.
3. Scotland's stunning capital of Edinburgh is also on our list of recommendations for the best holiday destinations in the UK. The area is renowned for its unique architecture, imposing structures like Edinburgh Castle and the iconic Royal Mile thoroughfare that crosses through the Old Town district. It is a city that also impresses in areas like dining and nightlife. You will find everything from Michelin-starred restaurants to diverse takeaway spots where you can grab a quick bite. Edinburgh is also home to great traditional pubs and trendy nightclubs for those looking to have a great night out.
1. The North Essex area is famed for its quaint market towns such as Saffron Walden and Great Dunmow. It is also known for its spectacular scenery. It is an idyllic countryside destination for a UK holiday spent enjoying coastal walks, country pubs and magical vineyards. The area is also home to the historic city of Colchester, which originated in the Roman period of Britain.
2. Warwickshire is another must-visit for Voyage Privé members who want to enjoy a retreat to the English countryside. It is home to thriving towns and cultural attractions like Warwick Castle. The area is served by various convenient transportation links that add to its appeal. When you browse the Voyage Privé catalogue, you will find a great selection of luxurious accommodation options, including countryside locations surrounded by beautiful woodlands and idyllic pastureland.
1. Falmouth is the site of the 3rd largest harbour in the world and offers some of the most spectacular viewpoints that can be found anywhere in Cornwall. Some of these spots are located along the town's high street. Falmouth is a popular area for sailing events and is home to some of the United Kingdom's most iconic beaches, such as Maenporth, Swanpool and Gyllyngvase.
2. Tynemouth is a popular coastal spot that ranks as one of the best holiday destinations in the UK. It is an area steeped in history with great dining and nightlife. It is also a great location for shopping. Book a stay in this acclaimed area and relax at popular beachfront locations like Longsands Beach, Marsden and Whitley Bay. This is one of the country's most popular surfing, canoeing and kayaking areas.
1. The Isle of Wight is one of the most iconic island regions in the United Kingdom and an amazing holiday destination for all types of travel. Its varied coastline is home to secret inlets, hidden coves, imposing cliffs and sandy beaches. The area's main town is Ryde. It is home to a variety of charming cafés and boutique shops that are located close to the waterfront. The most popular beachfronts include Seagrove, Ventnor, Yaverland and Compton Bay. The Needles Lighthouse is a must-see attraction during your stay. It dates to the 19th century and continues to serve its purpose of helping to guide ships into Alum Bay.
2. Located within Scotland's Firth of Clyde, the Isle of Bute is another amazing island destination within the UK that we recommend for Voyage Privé members. Its breathtaking scenery and idyllic beaches are a huge part of the draw. The island's coast is known for sandy stretches such as Ettrick Bay, Kerrycroy and Scalpsie Bay. Popular attractions and points of interest include the Bute Museum and Rothesay Castle. The Victorian seaside town of Rothesay is the island's largest community. It is home to a picturesque bay and various restaurants along the waterfront.
1. The Lake District is one of the most acclaimed regions of the United Kingdom for outdoor activities. It is home to a pair of UNESCO World Heritage Sites and is known for its rich tapestry of mountains, lakes and countryside areas. This is one of the best holiday destinations in the UK for hiking enthusiasts. Iconic bodies of water like Lake Windermere are hotspots for stand-up paddle boarding, sailing and kayaking. The district is also known for its welcoming communities, where you will find excellent dining, nightlife and entertainment opportunities. Popular towns include Ambleside, Grasmere, Bowness-on-Windermere and Hawkshead. With a history that dates to the late Neolithic period, the Castlerigg Stone Circle is a must-visit point of interest for history buffs.
2. The Yorkshire Dales is another region we must mention when talking about the best holiday destinations in the UK for the great outdoors. The National Park covers 840 square miles of spectacular scenery, including valleys, hills and moors covered in heather. There is no shortage of interesting things to see and do during a visit. They include Skipton Castle, the Dales Countryside Museum and the Ingleton Waterfalls Trail. Hiking enthusiasts can look forward to a rewarding experience when they traverse popular trails like the Yorkshire Three Peaks Circular and the Malham Landscape Trail.
3. Located in Central England, the Peak District is another top holiday destination we are excited to recommend to Voyage Privé members who love the great outdoors. It covers some 550 square miles and is home to various habitats and wildlife. This is another paradise for hiking and cycling lovers, with countless spectacular views waiting to be enjoyed. The charming town of Bakewell is a popular location for visitors with its various pubs, tea rooms and cafés. Take some time to stop by the Old Original Bakewell Pudding Shop. It is a must-visit attraction in this welcoming community. When you book your travel dates through Voyage Privé, you will have no problem finding fabulous Peak District accommodation for a memorable stay.
1. Bath deserves a spot at the top of any list of the best holiday destinations in the UK for history lovers. It enjoys UNESCO World Heritage Status and has a history that extends back to the Roman period. The area has been a destination for pleasure and relaxation since ancient times and is home to some of the country's finest spa facilities. A visit to the historic Roman Baths is a must during your visit. So is an exploration of the city's exceptional culinary scene.
2. Warwick is another bucket-list destination in the UK for history fans. The story of Warwick Castle goes back over 1,100 years. A visit to its 64 acres of well-maintained grounds is a must. Featured attractions include a birds of prey show and tour options for exploring the site. Other amazing activities that await in Warwick include a cruise along the Saltisford Canal Arm and a rewarding cycling excursion around the town. With Voyage Privé, you will find it easy to find the right accommodation in this charming corner of England's West Midlands with an excellent selection of available 4-star properties.
3. The list of must-visit sites for history fans in Wiltshire is an extensive one. It is home to the iconic Stonehenge stone circle, dated around 5,000 years ago by archaeologists. The area is known for many additional historic sites from other important eras. They include Salisbury Cathedral and Old Wardour Castle. During your visit, there are other fascinating things to check out, like Bluestone Vineyards and Longleat Safari Park. These are all great reasons to explore the Voyage Privé catalogue for a luxurious hotel in this storied part of the UK.
1. Scotland's famed Loch Ness conjures up images of ancient history and mythical animals that some believe still inhabit its waters. Although a bit of monster-sighting fun is certainly in order when you choose this fantastic UK destination, there is much more to the place. The Loch Ness area is a haven for photography and hiking enthusiasts. Its stunning scenery is certain to take your breath away. You can book a boat cruise during your visit or venture into the surrounding countryside, where you will discover amazing sights like Plodda Falls. It is the tallest waterfall in the local region at around 46 metres.
2. St Andrews is another must-visit destination in Scotland. This is particularly true for golf enthusiasts. The game originates in this area, home to the world-renowned Old Course. Beyond the appeal for golfers, St Andrews is known for the famed West Sands Beach, which is great for walking, hiking and swimming. There is a variety of shops and restaurants located nearby. Other notable St Andrews attractions include the Eden Mill Distillery and St Rule's Tower.
3. The Isle of Skye is one of the most unique areas of Scotland and one of the best holiday destinations in the UK. It is home to some of the region's most spectacular scenery with famed geological features like the Quiraing and the Old Man of Storr. The island is famed for its distilleries, which draw many tourists yearly. Check out top attractions like Talisker Distillery, the Fairy Glen, and Dunvegan Castle and Gardens during your visit. An exploration of the bustling port town of Portree is in order during your holidays as well.
1. An excellent mix of the old and the new, a fantastic food scene and plenty of regularly scheduled events are all reasons why Cardiff is ranked as one of the best holiday destinations in the UK. During your time in the capital of Wales, a visit to Cardiff Castle is a must. It is one of the city's most popular attractions. The site has a history that goes back to Roman times. You will be spoiled for choice in terms of entertainment in the city. Recommended spots include the Sherman Theatre, the Comedy Cabaret, Utilita Arena and the Wales Millennium Centre.
2. Swansea is another fabulous destination for a holiday spent in Wales. It is famed for its nightlife and dining. Must-visit attractions include the National Waterfront Museum, Swansea Castle and the Environment Centre. The Swansea Indoor Market is known for its stalls featuring vendors selling artisan breads, cheeses and cakes, locally reared meats and a stunning variety of arts and crafts. With an area of 70 square miles, exploring the Gower Peninsula is a must while visiting the area. You will find beautiful beaches like Oxwich Bay, Llangennith and Rhossili.
3. Snowdonia National Park is one of the true treasures of Wales. Located on the region's west coast, it covers an area of around 823 square miles. The park has a rich tapestry of wildlife, impressive mountains and awe-inspiring landscapes. The Llyn Ogwen circular walk is a must during your visit, as it will take you around some of the park's most impressive geological features. Nearby, Bardsey Island is home to the ruins of a monastery dating to the 6th century. You will also find the United Kingdom's tallest lighthouse located in this corner of Snowdonia.
1. Whether you are looking for a great pint of Guinness, a mouth-watering meal, or you want to spend time exploring some of the most important historic sites in Northern Ireland, Belfast is a fantastic destination for your next holiday. It is a great city for dining and nightlife and is known for popular attractions like the Queen's Arcade, the Ulster Museum, Titanic Belfast and the HMS Caroline. When you choose Voyage Privé, you will find many fantastic 4 and 5-star properties for a memorable stay in this popular UK travel location.
2. The Giant's Causeway is one of the most unique and recognisable locations found in the United Kingdom. This amazing geological feature is known for its neatly packed rows of columns up to 80 feet tall. There are around 40,000 of these fascinating columns in total. The area was used as one of the filming locations for the hit TV show Game of Thrones. Other must-visit points of interest that are located in the area include the Cushendun Caves, Ballintoy Harbour and the Dark Hedges.
3. The Mourne Mountains is another highly recommended location for Voyage Privé members looking for the best holiday destinations in the UK. An abundance of outdoor activities await you in the region. The region is a hotspot for walking, hiking, cycling and mountain biking. It is also home to gardens, nature reserves, forests and beaches covered with pristine sands.
1. The Brecon Beacons ranks as one of our top recommendations for Voyage Privé members looking for the best holiday destinations in the UK for couples. The area has plenty of green, open spaces with countless miles of trails for a relaxing walk with your significant other. Many travellers planning a romantic escape choose a cottage stay for an experience that offers maximum privacy. For memorable dining and nightlife experiences in the area, check out the Carreg Cennen Castle Café, the Walnut Tree Inn and Penderyn Distillery. There are several castles of note in the area. They include Hay Castle, Brecon Castle and Abergavenny Castle. The Brecon Mountain Railway is another recommended activity for couples. The steam-powered locomotive runs between Torpantau and Pant. This journey takes around 2 hours, and there is a charming souvenir shop and tearoom at the station.
2. Located in Cornwall, St Ives is another idyllic spot for romantic couples planning a holiday in the UK. A long list of romantic activities can enhance your time in the area. They include taking part in the St Ives art tour, going on a boat trip around the bay, enjoying the area's best dining options and taking a beach walk at sunrise or sunset. With these points in mind, today is the perfect time to book your luxury accommodation in St Ives on Voyage Privé.
3. We feel that it is a must to include London in our list of the best holiday destinations in the UK for couples. The city has everything you could want for a getaway with your significant other. It is home to some of the country's finest hotels and is famed for its world-class dining and nightlife. The list of activities suitable for couples in the capital of the United Kingdom is far too vast to detail here. A big part of the fun comes from deciding what to do next when you visit this vibrant metropolis.
1. Encompassing a 95-mile stretch of coastline in Southern England, the Jurassic Coast is a UNESCO World Heritage Site that we rank as one of the best holiday destinations in the UK. Family-friendly activities must include the Lulworth Fossil Forest, City Cruises Poole and the Ammonite Pavement. The kids are sure to have a great time when you go on a fossil-hunting expedition. A visit to the Fairlynch Museum is recommended as well. It is one of the few museums in the UK with a thatched roof and celebrates the history of East Devon.
2. The North Yorkshire Moors are famed for their lush valleys, heather-covered moorlands, charming towns and stunning cliffs. The region is one of the best holiday destinations in the UK and a top choice for a family getaway. During your visit, an excursion to the picturesque ruins of Whitby Abbey is a must. The iconic site served as the inspiration for the famed Victorian novelist Bram Stoker. Other notable family-friendly attractions include the Captain Cook Memorial Museum, the North Yorkshire Moors Railway and the Endeavour Experience Whitby.
1. We have some excellent suggestions if you are looking for a fabulous spa break in the UK. Unsurprisingly, one of these destinations is the city of Bath. As noted, the area has been a haven for those seeking relaxation since Roman times. These days, it is home to some of the most state-of-the-art spa facilities that can be found in the United Kingdom.
2. York is another top choice for Voyage Privé members planning a spa break. The Grand Hotel & Spa 5* is at the top of the list of fabulous spa hotels in this part of Northeastern England. We are excited to recommend this fabulous property for a recharging getaway in one of the country's most historic cities.
3. You cannot forget London when considering a spa break holiday in the UK. The city is home to virtually every amenity, and an excellent selection of spa hotels is included. We suggest popular properties like the Pestana Chelsea Bridge Hotel & Spa 4* and the Rafayel Hotel & Spa 5*.
Our travel experts have chosen the Lake District as our top pick among the best holiday destinations in the UK. It was no easy task to come to a final decision given the impressive diversity of locations that can be found across the country. The Lake District was chosen for several key factors. They include the fact that it is a location that allows you to get away from it all amongst some of the most beautiful scenery the United Kingdom offers. Although it is famed as a haven for outdoor enthusiasts, the area offers much more, and we have plenty of available hotel deals to help you experience it.
Although the appeal of the Lake District is often associated most closely with its iconic lakes and ancient woodlands, there is plenty more to do during your visit. Foodies will love what they discover in Grasmere and Ambleside. We suggest checking out what is happening in Windermere and Penrith for fun nightlife. Amazing memories await when you book your next holiday in this beloved corner of the United Kingdom through our travel team here at Voyage Privé. Discover why we rank this as the best holiday destination in the UK.
Escape to the mesmerising scenery of the Lake District when you arrange your stay at the Rothay Garden Hotel - Ambleside 4*. It is a fantastic accommodation option for a getaway to one of the best holiday destinations in the UK. The property is home to an AA-Rosette-awarded restaurant and enjoys a setting among the magical scenery this acclaimed region is known for. Your offer is based on a bed and breakfast stay in a classic superior or deluxe room. You also have the option to add a 3-course dinner for 2 per night to your booking. On-site amenities include a spa, a Jacuzzi, a 24-hour reception desk, Wi-Fi and free parking.
What we like: We love the idyllic location of this popular Lake District accommodation. Fantastic dining and spa facilities and the option of a 3-course dinner during your stay add to the appeal of choosing this deal.
The Merewood Country House Hotel 4* is a secluded property on 20 acres of landscaped gardens within the borders of the stunning Lake District. It is surrounded by woodland and meadows and offers spectacular views of Lake Windermere. Your half-board dining package is based on accommodation in a classic room with comfortable furnishings, a Nespresso coffee machine and a smart TV. The hotel's on-site amenities include outdoor parking, Wi-Fi and 3 restaurant/bar facilities.
What we like: We love this property's well-appointed guestrooms, its on-site dining facilities and its secluded Lake District location.
The Briery Wood 4* is a charming country house hotel that dates to the 19th century when it was known as Holbeck Cottage. It enjoys a privileged Lake District location between Windermere and Ambleside and features an AA Rosette-awarded restaurant and a cosy lounge. Your bed and breakfast deal is based on accommodation in a classic or family room with the option to add a dinner for 2 to your booking. On-site amenities include a laundry service and Wi-Fi. Rooms are equipped with a TV, a hairdryer, a courtesy tray with a selection of tea/coffee and air conditioning.
What we like: We love the excellent Lake District location of this historic property, as well as its fantastic on-site dining options.