We Love —
- Set in 1,800 acres of National Trust parkland - you are never far from breathtaking views or country walks.
- This hotel is also perfect for families: with kids clubs, baby care kits (which include a complimentary baby-listening system) and a whole host of activities to keep your children entertained.
Customer reviews —
“It felt luxurious but at the same time very relaxed and chilled. The staff were really friendly and approachable and made us feel special throughout the stay. This is a lovely family friendly hotel but at no point did we feel it was overrun by families or we were treated second best to them, the staff made it special for everyone. The food in Fredericks complimented the luxuriousness of the setting.”
Posted on 19 February 2017
TripAdvisor score —
Permanent Collection —
You have not yet found your dream getaway from our holiday deals? Discover our year-round selection of high-end accommodation at public prices from our hotel partners.
The Permanent Collection is a selection of the best high-end properties: luxury hotels, chic boutique hotels and elegant villas ... If you book accommodation through our Permanent Collection, you will receive a voucher for 5% of the total booking amount, to be redeemed on your next Voyage Privé booking. And to make your stay even more enjoyable, we have negotiated two exclusive perks.
Please note: Permanent Collection rates are non-refundable, non-changeable.
Stroll in one of England’s finest Italianate gardens and explore the intriguing Stumpery. See how one man’s passion led to the creation of this remarkable house and its renowned collection of treasures. Through the Ickworth Lives project, learn about the servants and workers who kept this country estate running and share their memories.
On the edge of the village of Horringer, and close to Bury St Edmunds and the River Cam, the Ickworth Hotel is surrounded by verdant countryside. Stay local or enjoy days out in Cambridge, Colchester and Newmarket.
Just beyond the hotel grounds is an array of fantastic family days out. A few miles north is the Anglo-Saxon Village and Country Park of West Stow, with family activities, nature trails, farm animals, living history events and galleries.
Animal lovers won’t want to miss out on Colchester Zoo – considered to be one of the finest in Europe, with over 260 species and 60 acres of parkland and lakes. Petrol-heads looking for fast-paced fun can zoom to the Wild Tracks Off Road Activity Park for quad biking, motocross, four-wheel driving and target activities from clay pigeon shooting to archery.
- Suffolk Coast & Heaths (an area of outstanding natural beauty): 40min / 40miles
- Cambridge: 45min / 30miles by car
- Colchester Zoo: 1hr / 48miles by car
All times & distances are approximate
Your Hotel —
Today, the East Wing of the house is a luxury family hotel, while the West Wing is a visitor centre, with facilities for conferences and events. Though the building been updated to provide modern comfort, the house retains its historic charm. In recent years, aided by a grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund, the Ickworth Lives project led to the restoration of the basements, providing visitors with a fascinating glimpse into life ‘below stairs’ in the 1930s.
Just for you: Late check-out
In keeping with the grandeur of Ickworth, each room is unique and comfortable, yet perfectly decked out to accommodate kids, dogs and couples.
- Standard Room (max. 2 persons): This room is brimming with traditional elegance in keeping with the atmospheric fell of Ickworth House.
- Small Family Double Room (max. 3 persons): As the name suggests, these rooms are perfect for smaller families with enough space for you to spread out.
- Family Room ( max. 4 persons): With a range of traditional and contemporary rooms, these rooms offer views over the Italianate Gardens or beautiful Ickworth estate.
- Family Room with no view (max. 4 persons): With the same space for a smaller price, these rooms are perfect for those who intend to spend more time in nature than looking at it.
- Large Family Room (max. 5 persons): Ensconce your family in a larger room where traditional style are complimented with contemporary twists.
- Grand Tour (max. 4 persons): An impressive main house bedroom overlooking the Italianate Gardens, Grand Tour is decorated in period style; including a vast 8ft bed.
- Family Suite (max. 5 persons): Looking out from the front of the house, our family suite contains a double room for parents and separate twin room for children.
- Lodge Double (max. 3 persons): Sumptuously stylish, these ground floor double rooms provide wonderful views of the rose garden from full-length feature windows.
- Lodge Family Double (max. 4 persons): On the ground floor of The Lodge at Ickworth, these large double rooms are perfect for both couples and families.
- Lodge Hornbeam Room (max. 4 persons): Located on the second floor of The Lodge, this attractive two-bedroom suite looks out over the private garden and parkland.
- Two Bedroom Apartment (max. 6 persons): Enjoy the traditional luxury of these self-contained two-bedroom apartments in the picturesque setting of The Lodge.
- Lodge Two Bedroom Suite (max. 6 persons): With lots of space for larger families, these two-bedroom suites include a master bedroom and twin or bunk beds for children.
- Lodge Three Bedroom Apartment (max. 8 persons): Enjoy maximum space and freedom with your own private three-bedroom apartment in The Lodge.
- Butler's Quarters (max. 8 persons): Enjoy all the facilities of The Ickworth from your very own residence on the estate. Just a short walk from the hotel, the Butler’s Quarters include a private walled garden, living area including kitchen.
ALL PICTURES SHOWN ARE FOR ILLUSTRATION PURPOSES ONLY
Just for you: 2 glasses of prosecco
Or put the children to bed (switch on the baby-listening system or the hotel can organise a baby-sitter) and enjoy a sophisticated, adult-only dinner in Fredrick’s restaurant, overlooking the Italianate gardens.